LOCKED UP Asylum seeker who stabbed pensioner to death in bloody rampage after prowling streets with knife is jailed

A CRAZED asylum seeker who stabbed a pensioner to death in a bloody rampage after prowling the streets with a knife has been jailed.

Ahmed Ali Alid, 45, first tried to kill his housemate by hacking at him in his bed as he slept.

Ahmed Ali Alid was filmed prowling the streets with a knife
Ahmed Ali Alid was filmed prowling the streets with a knifeCredit: NNP
He still had the knife in his waistband when he was arrested
He still had the knife in his waistband when he was arrestedCredit: NNP
Alid has now been jailed for being found guilty of murder
Alid has now been jailed for being found guilty of murderCredit: PA

The monster then stalked the streets of Hartlepool with a blade before stumbling across Terence Carney.

Terence, 70, had been on a morning walk when he was brutally attacked before being left for dead.

Footage showed Alid being arrested by armed police with the bloodied knife still in his waistband.

Alid told police the rampage, which took place eight days after Hamas attacked Israel, was "for the people of Gaza" and he had wanted to slaughter more innocent victims.

He then attacked two female officers, yelling "Palestine" and "Allahu Akbar" - meaning "God is great".

The Moroccan national was today jailed for life with a minimum of 45 years after being convicted of murder, attempted murder and assaulting the two police officers.

Teesside Crown Court heard former pastry chef Alid had travelled from Morocco to Spain in 2007.

He spent time in 13 different European countries before arriving in Britain where he claimed asylum.The killer was living in a state-funded Home Office-approved asylum seekers' accommodation at the time of the horror.

Terence's wife Patricia Carney said today her husband went out walking early every morning because he enjoyed the peace and quiet on the streets.

She added: "Tess was doing what he had always done and enjoyed doing - he was taking a walk on a street he believed to be safe and a chance encounter with this man ended his life."

She also told how she could no longer go into town because it was "too painful" to be near the spot where her husband was murdered.

"From that day on, my life would be forever changed. I don't feel anything anymore," she said.

The handleless and bloodied blade of a knife found after the attack
The handleless and bloodied blade of a knife found after the attackCredit: PA
The killer stabbed his housemate as he slept
The killer stabbed his housemate as he sleptCredit: PA
Blood could also be seen on the floor and walls
Blood could also be seen on the floor and wallsCredit: PA

The court heard how Alid's housemates noticed he had been watching "terrorist news" in the kitchen, with former bodyguard Javed Nouri warning hostel managers he believed he was a threat.

But Javed was told there was nothing they could do unless Alid was carrying the knife around the house or threatening his flatmates.

Eight days later, on October 15, he broke into the bedroom of Christian convert Javed and stabbed him.

As the 31-year-old was left fighting for his life, Alid fled outside still armed with one knife.

He then pounced on pensioner Terence, who was heard in heartbreaking doorbell footage crying out "no, no".

Alid was taken to the police station on suspicion of terrorism offences where he began rambling in Arabic.

When asked if he intended to kill more people, Alid said: "I swear by Allah if I had a machine gun and I had more weapons that they would be in thousands.

"I was going to contact someone to get me a machine gun and I would have done more and then that person told me to carry on with the knife."

Alid also told the officers if it had not been for the wounds to his hands from the attack, he would have carried on his rampage.

He added: "There would have been more lives. My intention was to kill more people, not only him."

The killer then grew agitated and began attacking the two female detectives questioning him.

One pressed a panic button to summon help, but the alarm did not work.

Eventually Alid's own solicitor was forced to ring 999 from inside the police station to ask for help, before officers were able to force entry into the room and subdue him.

Terence's heartbroken family pay tribute

"We would like to thank everyone involved in the investigation, from the first responding officers, whose swift actions that day prevented anyone else from being hurt, to the investigation team."

The family also thanked the legal system, including the prosecution, judge and jury, for bringing them justice, and their family liaison team for their support.

"We would not want anyone else to have to go through what we have had to go through over the last six months, and what we will continue to go through for the rest of our lives," they said.

"For us, things will never be the same again."

Speaking of the men present at Wharton Terrace, Hartlepool, where Alid tried to kill Javed Nouri while shouting "Allahu Akbar" - God is great - the family praised their bravery.

"We would especially like to thank Mr Javed Nouri, Mr Ariyan Karimi and Mr Mohammed Karimi," the family said.

"What they themselves endured that night was truly horrific, they believed they too were going to die.

"Despite this, they fully assisted the police with their inquiries and gave their evidence in court, which is testament to their characters.

"These three men were the voice of our loved one, when he was unable to speak out for himself.

"For this we will forever be grateful to them.

"We have watched the whole trial intently, and whilst today's guilty verdict will not bring back Terence our beloved husband, father and grandfather, we can take some small comfort in knowing that justice has been served.

"We would now like the time to grieve for him privately."

Detective Chief Superintendent James Dunkerley, head of Counter Terrorism Policing North East, said: "The horrific attacks in Hartlepool were unprovoked and deeply disturbing.

"I have no doubt that the swift response of the attending officers prevented further harm or loss of life that morning."We're grateful for their bravery in the face of a dangerous and unpredictable suspect.

"I'd also like to thank the people of Hartlepool for their calm and measured response to that day's events and for the resilience they showed in the weeks that followed."

Alid attacked two officers after he was arrested
Alid attacked two officers after he was arrested

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.