RULE OF THE ROAD Urgent warning to millions of drivers over little-known DVLA licence rule… and how to avoid £1,000 fine

MILLIONS of drivers have been warned over a little-known DVLA licence rule - here's how to avoid a £1,000 fine.

Experts at Motor Match said the crucial mistake can put motorists at risk of facing severe penalties.

This little-known rule can send you hundreds out of pocket
This little-known rule can send you hundreds out of pocketCredit: Getty

According to the motors pros, failing to update your address details with the DVLA is not just a minor oversight.

The common error can leave you out of pocket and lead to serious consequences.

In the event of an accident, having accurate address information on file is key.

The experts said: "Address updates are more than just a matter of compliance.

"In the unfortunate event of an accident, having accurate address details ensures that essential information reaches the right individuals promptly, expediting necessary processes and potentially saving lives."

The DVLA requires drivers to update their personal details on all their documents - including your vehicle log book.

It is a criminal offence to change your address without changing the address on your driving licence.

If you fail to do so, you could be slapped with a hefty fine worth hundreds

Pros at Motor Match added: "The DVLA's requirement to update address information extends beyond just your driving licence; it includes your vehicle log book, direct debit for vehicle tax, and private number plate documents.

"Failing to update these details can lead to significant fines of up to £1,000, making it crucial for all drivers to be vigilant about keeping their information current."

Experts also urged car-owners to keep accurate address details on record even after a temporary move.

You should also change your address for registered trailers and personalised number plates with the DVLA.

They added: "Even temporary moves, such as living away at university, warrant an update of your address details with the DVLA.

"This ensures that your records accurately reflect your situation and prevents unnecessary complications down the road.

"The process is both cost-free and convenient, allowing you to continue driving while awaiting your updated licence."

It comes as a car cleaning expert warned motorists not to use this popular household product if they don't want to risk damaging their vehicle.

UK drivers have been urged to rethink their cleaning habits after a survey found more than half were unsure how to wash their cars at home.

How to change the address on your driving licence

THERE are many documents that require an address change when you move houses and one of them is your driving licence.

You can still drive your car while you're in the process to change it, but make sure to start the process as fast as you can to avoid any fines.

To change your address with the DVLA you need to be the licence holder.

To change your address you will need:

  • your full or provisional driving licence
  • to live in Great Britain - there’s a different process in Northern Ireland
  • the addresses of where you've lived in the past three years
  • to not be banned from driving

You'll also be asked for your National Insurance and passport number if you know them.

You can change the address on your provisional or full driving licence via the online form on the website.

When you have finished the application the DVLA will send you an email to confirm they have received it.

You can also change the address by post. To do this you need to:

  • Fill in the D741 form that came with your photocard driving licence, or a D1 from your Post Office (D2 for buses and lorries).
  • If you have a paper licence fill in the D1 or D2 form from the Post Office.
  • Send the form and your licence to the DVLA at: DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1BN.

You must also change the address on your vehicle log book and vehicle tax Direct Debit (if that’s how you pay).

The DVLA can only help if you're moving to a new UK address.

If you are moving abroad, you should contact the licensing authority in your new country of residence.

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.