Glasgow stabbings: Warning over suspect's mental state before knife rampage

A liaison worker phoned staff at the hotel reception desk on the night before the attack to pass on concerns of residents.

Staff at a Glasgow hotel where an asylum seeker launched a knife attack were warned he was mentally unstable the night before he struck.
Fellow residents at the Park Inn had reported concerns about his mental state prior to the incident, and the warning was passed to staff in a phone call on Thursday evening.
Sky News has been told the Sudanese man had begun to behave erratically.
Armed specialist police officers run as they respond at the scene of a fatal stabbing incident
Constable David Whyte, 42, was injured today after officers were called to an incident at the Park Inn in West George Street, Glasgow
Other Sudanese asylum seekers had become scared of him and made their concerns known to a Glasgow-based liaison worker who deals with asylum issues.
The liaison worker phoned staff at the hotel reception desk at 11pm on the night before the attack to pass on the concerns.
The asylum seeker, who came to the United Kingdom six months ago, had been complaining about living conditions in the hotel and was having particular difficulty with noise.
Sky News also understands that in the minutes before the assault, he had a telephone consultation with an immigration solicitor.
During the call, around 11am on Friday, the same individual who had warned hotel reception staff had taken part in the three-way conversation.
During the consultation, he told the lawyer of his concern for the man's state of mind
The solicitor said he would pass on the concerns to the "safeguarding" team at the Home Office, set up to protect people in vulnerable circumstances.
The area remained cordoned off on Saturday as investigations continued
Six people, including 42-year-old police constable David Whyte, suffered stab wounds and are being treated in hospital.
The condition of the five others hurt, aged 17, 18, 20, 38 and 53, has not been revealed.
The suspect was shot dead by armed police responding to the incident, which is not being treated as terrorism.
Eyewitnesses told Sky News they saw people, bloodied, being carried on stretchers from the hotel, which had been housing a number of asylum seekers and refugees during the coronavirus lockdown.
Commenting on the latest development about the suspect's state of mind, Sky News' policing analyst Graham Wettone said: "It gives the investigation team a line of inquiry to follow.
"They will be following that up today. Speaking to other people who are residents there, speaking to the mental health team, solicitor etc - people with background information that may be able to explain what started this attack.
"They have got to speak to the people that had that contact with him immediately before and the night before - the why, the motive is the key part for them."
Police Scotland Chief Constable Iain Livingstone said: "My thoughts and very best wishes are with those who have been injured and their families, including our colleague Constable David Whyte who was seriously injured in the course of doing his duty.
"I offer my personal support to all those affected.
"Officers have once again run into danger to protect their fellow citizens. Their professionalism as police officers was outstanding.
"I pay tribute to their bravery, selflessness and commitment to protecting the public."

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.