Mother, 24, 'inadvertently recorded harrowing audio of her boyfriend beating her son, two, as she tried to catch him out for cheating on her - months before they killed the little boy', court hears

A woman accused of murdering her two-year-old son inadvertently recorded her boyfriend allegedly hitting the little boy in 'harrowing' audio clips played to jurors.

Phylesia Shirley is said to have carried out the covert phone recordings at her one-bedroom flat to check whether then-partner Kemar Brown was secretly contacting other women.

However, police investigating the death of her son, Kyrell Matthews, discovered that the recordings contained disturbing evidence of the non-verbal boy being hit repeatedly, with Brown saying 'shut up', causing the toddler to cry and scream.

Kyrell died at the flat on October 20, 2019, with a litany of internal injuries, including 41 rib fractures and a 1.6in (4cm) wide cut to his liver.

Phylesia Shirley, and her then-boyfriend, Kemar Brown, who is not the boy's father, deny murdering Kyrell at Shirley's home in Thornton Heath, south London

Prosecutor Edward Brown QC, outlining the prosecution case at the Old Bailey today, said the secret recordings offered a glimpse into the alleged abuse taking place at Shirley's flat in Thornton Heath, south London, in the months before Kyrell died.

He told jurors: 'It makes for harrowing listening, because, say the prosecution, you will hear Kemar Brown hitting that child again and again on different days, and you will hear Kyrell crying and screaming as a result.'

On one recording, the prosecution said Kyrell could be heard getting increasingly distressed amid 'slapping sounds' and 'hitting noises' as Brown told him to 'shut up'. 

Kyrell Matthews, two, suffered months of abuse at the hands of his mother Phylesia Shirley and her boyfriend Kemar Brown according to recordings found on her phone, prosecutors said

Kyrell Matthews, two, suffered months of abuse at the hands of his mother Phylesia Shirley and her boyfriend Kemar Brown according to recordings found on her phone, prosecutors said

Jurors were told Brown admits it is his voice on the recordings.

The prosecution said Shirley could then be heard asking 'What did he do?', to which Brown is said to have replied 'He got up'.

The prosecutor said: 'Plainly, she (Shirley) has seen distress at the very least, expecting punishment of Kyrell having taken place by Kemar Brown.

'It is plain, say the prosecution, what you can hear.'

The prosecution described the case as a 'determined pattern of repeated and significant assaults on a completely defenceless and young child'.

Jurors were told that on one occasion in the days before he died, Kyrell was apparently 'reluctant to go back into his mother's flat' having spent the day elsewhere.

Jurors heard that the toddler did not attend a nursery and so was in the full-time care of his mother, then aged 21.

Neither defendant was employed in the period leading up to Kyrell's death, the court heard.

Both also said they left the flat at separate times, briefly, the day the boy died - although only Shirley's account could be corroborated by CCTV.

Shirley said she raised the alarm by calling the NHS's non-emergency 111 number after she got home, saying her son had become 'floppy', his eyes were rolling back and he was having problems with his breathing.

‘The ambulance arrived just 12 minutes later and Kyrell was rushed to hospital. Both Shirley and Brown denied harming him.

A court sketch of Phylesia Shirley, and her partner, Kemar Brown, at the Old Bailey in London

A court sketch of Phylesia Shirley, and her partner, Kemar Brown, at the Old Bailey in London

It was only following his death that forensic examination offered clues about how he died.

Prosecutor Mr Brown said: 'This all happened behind closed doors, so to speak.

'After the initial investigation, the long task to examine a huge amount of telephone data was begun and trawled through over many months, and what was found was a section on Phylesia Shirley's phone that contained a number of recordings.

'They are revealing - indeed they are very harrowing.

'It appears that Phylesia Shirley had taken to setting her phone up to record what might or might not be going on in the flat when she was out, or when she was at least not within earshot.

'It appears that she was checking up on Mr Brown to see if he was contacting other women.

Judge Mark Lucraft QC described the audio footage as 'difficult listening'. 

The court heard earlier that Brown was on his mobile phone as A&E doctors fought to save Kyrell's life. 

The prosecutor continued: 'Phylesia Shirley was observed as being distressed in the flat and at the hospital as well.

'On being told of the decision to pronounce life extinct, she became hysterical.

'Descriptions of Kemar Brown's demeanour at the flat and hospital are those of a calm person, slightly disengaged somewhat unaffected, it appeared, as the emerging tragedy became obvious.

'The CCTV at the hospital shows him on his mobile phone whilst the A&E staff were trying to treat Kyrell and save his life.

'Brown's reaction, or lack of it, the prosecution say, you may think is a surprising one if the child's terrible condition and death was a surprise to him.' 

'It is the prosecution's case that the injuries were inflicted on that very young child by the defendants Phylesia Shirley or Kemar Brown or both of them,' Mr Brown said.

Shirley, of Thonton Heath, south London, denies murder but has admitted allowing the death of a child and allowing serious physical harm to a child.

Brown, of Thornton Heath, south London, denies murder, causing or allowing the death of a child and causing or allowing serious physical harm to a child.

The trial continues.

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.